The Terrace Wall

The long high terrace wall here is evidently a structure of more than one period, with the oldest part to the north, closer to the manor house. The gazebo lies centrally in the terrace and was the focal point of the original gardens, with its 17th century basement arch and early 18th century sash window above. The main terraced path here, as excavated, was half washed away by slope erosion, only one cobbled edge surviving. The whole path has now been restored with local river gravel, and edged with box hedging. The terrace bed was restored with late 17th century planting (in 2015 supplemented by modern planting and awaiting authentic restoration). Move south, half way along the terrace, for the next point in the tour.

How the garden may have appeared circa 1730